Thursday, July 30, 2009

Beware of COLA Scam



Many of you have probably received a mailing from the Senior Citizen League warning that there will not be a Social Security cost-of-living-adjustment (COLA) for 2010.  Unfortunately, this mailing is correct; the Obama administration has announced there will not be a COLA for 2010 and might not be a COLA for 2011 and 2012 as well.  However, I do not recommend donating your money to this organization. This group has never bothered to contact me or any of my colleagues I queried; so much for the league's effectiveness.

As your Member of Congress, I am aware of the situation and am committed to protecting your Social Security benefits. 

Every day it seems there is more bad news for our nation's seniors.  The Obama Administration and Congressional Democrats recently announced over $500 billion in cuts to Medicare as part of their version of health care "reform."  Now there will not be a Social Security COLA for 2010.  Seniors have spent their entire working lives paying into these two programs and President Obama seems determined to pay for the young and healthy by drastically cutting the benefits of older Americans.  You have my promise that I will continue to fight these cuts to your hard earned benefits.  
 
If you or someone you know is contacted by an organization asking for your money, please do not hesitate to call my office and we will look into it on your behalf.

It is my honor and privilege to serve the people of Florida's 5th Congressional District and my offices and staff are here to provide you with any assistance you may need.


Thank you, 

Ginny Brown-Waite M.C.