Thursday, July 11, 2013

Mary's Shelter July Newsletter - Soirée and Craft Bazaar Info!




color logo web
Greetings!

Our Mission of Hope
We are so looking forward to seeing everyone next month at the Soirée!   There are so many amazing stories from the last year that we are excited to share with you.   With almost every new resident comes a tragic story  - a story of abuse and hardship, misery and neglect.  But then there are the stories of hope and transformation.  We want to share with you the stories of lives rekindled by the respite and opportunities offered at Mary's Shelter.  We are certain that after you watch the video interviews of our residents at the Soirée and hear their amazing stories in their own words, you will be as excited as we are about your local, life-saving, pro-life ministry.

We hope to see you there!
God bless,
Kathleen Wilson, director
Save the Date for the Summer Soirée!
Please plan on joining us at the
4th Annual Mary's Shelter Summer Soirée
to be held at the Fredericksburg Expo Center on
Saturday, August 10th from 6-10pm.
We look forward to another evening of great food, awesome music, and inspiring speakers!
activist, artist, mother

Calling All Artisans, Bakers and Crafters!
Since 2009, friends of Mary's Shelter have gathered on a crisp fall day to celebrate and defend life at the Annual Mary's Shelter Arts and Crafts Benefit.  Amateur and professional artisans and crafters have provided beautiful one-of-a-kind items for shoppers to purchase
with 100% of the proceeds going directly to Mary's Shelter.
Fall of 2013 is approaching rapidly so we are sending out the call for creativity again.  Here are some ideas that have been donated in the past:
  • baked goods
  • knitted scarves, hats, mittens, and shawls
  • refurbished furniture
  • Jesse tree symbols and St. Nicholas ornaments
  • hand strung rosaries and jewelry
  • professional photography and paintings
  • an original play in 3 acts
  • soaps and bath salts
Please prayerfully consider crafting for and/or shopping at this year's Mary's Shelter Arts and Crafts Benefit.  If you are able to donate a talent, please contact Adele at jrajr@earthlink.net by August 31st with your idea.  Final products will not be required until the week before the event.
Thank you!
Resident Interview - "Lily"
"Lily" is from Philadelphia and has been living at Mary's Shelter since June, 2013.  She is 24 yrs. old and due with her third child in December, 2013.  She has a high school diploma as well as a Nursing Aide Career Training certificate.  She came to Mary's Shelter looking for a fresh start after a difficult and unhealthy relationship. 
Q: How did you find out about Mary's Shelter?
Mary's Shelter was brought to my attention when I decided on my own that an abortion was never going to be a part of my life.  Every conceived child deserves a chance to live a safe and happy life. My mother had 8 abortions.  The one child she wanted to conceive was born weighing 1 lb. and lived for 1 hour.  He would be 10 yr. old today.  I was put here for a reason. 
Q: What have you found helpful about the shelter? 
The shelter itself!  The staff is firm but honest, which is needed. 

Q: Are there things about living here that you find difficult?
Moving from a big city to a more suburban area, coping with different people, and not knowing where anything is can be frustrating.
Q:How would you describe your life growing up?
Rough and smooth.  My parents had me young so I was raised as an only child by my grandparents which was both fun and sad.  The trust issues started when I could understand that the people closest to me hurt me and let me down.  I went from being an Honor Roll student to a straight C student.  I got a job at Burger King when I was 14 and I have had a job ever since.  I've never sat in the back of a police car or been sent to jail.  Blessed!

Q: Did you ever consider having an abortion during this pregnancy?  
Yes.  All of the women in my family have had at least 1 abortion.  They painted a picture for me that abortion was okay.  But to me it is NOT.  Things happen for a reason, so we can be taught life's lessons.  I have never had an abortion and I never will.
Q: Can you tell me about your other children?
My oldest son is 3.  He looks just like his dad.  He is very smart, has a large vocabulary and loves puzzles.  My youngest son is 2 yrs. old and very quiet - the opposite of his brother!

Q:What are some of the greatest challenges you have faced?
Saying no to my family about having an abortion.  I have always listened to them about my well-being and lifestyle, so this was very challenging for me.    
Q:What aspects of your life are you trying to change?
I cannot trust people.  Learning to trust people is very hard for me.  I would like to become stronger both mentally and emotionally and look at life in a different way.  I need to remember that not all people are bad or have ulterior motives.  

Q: What goals do you have for yourself?
I need to find a job right now and save enough money for an apartment.

Q: What place does God have in your life? 
Allah is with me everyday, all day.  Even when things aren't going my way, I know there is a better plan. 
Volunteer Interview - Melissa Goodnough
I'm Melissa!  I graduated from Fredericksburg Christian School in 2011 and am currently going to college locally. I've been blessed with a flexible schedule and have had the opportunity to get involved in the community. I go to Spotswood Baptist which has given me a lot of outlets, but I have also had the joy of getting involved at Mary's Shelter. I love spending time with family and friends and I also love to cook and bake! I'm hoping to open a bakery/sandwich shop that serves food for people with allergies or dietary restrictions. In the mean time, I'll be getting my degree and hopefully helping out at Mary's Shelter!

Q: What sort of volunteer work do you do for Mary's Shelter?
I watch the infants for an hour on Monday nights while the moms participate in Monday Night Madness.

Q: How did you first get involved with Mary's Shelter and begin volunteering?
I first got involved while I was in high school. My art class volunteered as a service project, which is how I found out about Mary's Shelter.

Q: How do you find the time to volunteer?
I go to college locally and work part-time, so an hour or two once a week is easy to fit into my schedule.
 
Q: What is the best part of volunteering at Mary's Shelter? What have you learned from your volunteer experience?
The very best part is getting to form new relationships with the moms and the kids. I have met some wonderful people! I've really gained a new perspective on things and learned that everyone has a story and they are all worth listening to.
 
Q:  What do you feel you have to offer to the residents?
Not a lot! I'm a young college student so I don't have much in the way of experience or money. But I do have my time and a listening ear which sometimes is all that's really needed.
 
Q: What would you recommend for others who want to get more involved in Mary's Shelter through volunteer work?
I would recommend they jump in feet first. There's always something going on and there is plenty of ways for people to get plugged in doing what they have a natural talent for. Whether that's helping with children or mentoring mothers.  
Q: What is the best thing about Mary's Shelter?
The best thing about Mary's Shelter is what they stand for. The sanctity of life is something that is under fire and Mary's Shelter is a beacon of hope. I love getting to be part of that!
Thank you!
* Thank you to all the volunteers who made our 3rd year of Monday Night Madness a success.  We could not possibly run it without our two babysitting supervisors, dedicated babysitters, and fascinating speakers and instructors!  Thank you all!

* Thank you to Carolyn Brodeur for her countless hours of assistance both in the boutique and the office!    

* Thank you to Kim Matos for the amazing furniture donation!

* Thank you to April Heflin for donating so many wonderful outdoor toys!
Fulfill the Promise Campaign
Are you a part of the Mary's Shelter family? Our Fulfill the Promise campaign asks for just a small monthly donation. Could you commit to $20 a month to fund Mary's Shelter?
.


1234 Main Street, Awesomeville, MA · 555.555.555