Sunday, September 29, 2013

40 Days For Life: DAY 5: Message to "the sign people"

40 Days for Life
Dear Deacon John,
 
Just one item today - but a powerful one. Here's a letter that a young woman left at a 40 Days for Life vigil site - simply addressed "to the sign people."

If this doesn't show the importance of your peaceful witness outside the abortion centers ... I don't know what does! 


 
To the sign people

My friend had left me the use of her apartment as she was away ... perfect because it was right where the clinic was!

The next day, I saw you people lining up with signs ... I watched from the window every day and all day you were there! Different folks each time.

I had this idea in my head that abortion picketers were extremists ... no "normal" person would do that sort of thing. Yet you did not look extreme ... more ordinary.

Tuesday was my pre-procedure appointment. Used the wrong entrance and had to walk past you. So what, I thought. Who cares? They don’t know me or where I am going. As I walked past (hurriedly!), my legs felt like they weighed a ton. What was going on? Are these people intimidating me? Do I need to feel ashamed as I walk past? The receptionist told me to "ignore them" when I asked about you.

Every day I watched you. One day I thought for sure no one would be there. Weather forecast was calling for severe winds and rain. There in the afternoon, amid strong winds which were blowing the signs over the head and onto the grass, you stood. Three or four together. All day!

The next day I took a walk and followed you in the direction where everyone seemed to go. It was a church. After everyone left, I went inside and saw all the signs, flyer. Impressive set-up, I thought. They seem organized in their purpose!

On Friday was my scheduled appointment for my procedure. I was suddenly terrified of what was to be. My heart was almost beating out of my chest.

My boyfriend, who had promised to come the day before, did not show up to take me. Said he was tied up and that ultimately it was my choice to have it that day or wait til next week. My choice. But he’s not there to hold my hand! Lots of weighing pros and cons.

Anyhow, I want to let you know that I decided to keep my baby. The boyfriend is still a distance away but maybe he needs time to come around and see the big picture.

The reason I decided to leave you this note is to tell you that what you did was good. I felt I owed it to you for all the days you stood there in hope that others would take notice. I noticed - and in turn it gave me hope that others I know would also  care to "stand for me."

It's a crazy world we live in ... but some seem to know how to see the good in it.
 
Thanks!
 
-----------------------------------------------------

Here's today's devotional from Rev. Ben Sheldon, president emeritus of Presbyterians Pro-Life...
 
Day 5 intention

May the truth of the final judgment shape our thoughts, priorities, and choices here on earth.

Scripture

The King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me."

-- Matthew 25:31-46 
 
Reflection by Rev. Ben Sheldon

Caring for others is not optional.

Jesus' picture of the final judgment concludes with this sobering word: the wicked, who failed to care for others in their various needs (e.g., the hungry, the thirsty, the aliens, the naked, the sick, the imprisoned) will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous who did seek to meet those needs will end up with him, enjoying eternal life.

We know that this was no parable! Jesus has given us fair warning! Everything in God's Word points to the truth that compassionate concern and practical care for all people, especially for the poor, the destitute, the weak and needy is required of us, if indeed we hope to escape the punishment of the fire of hell.

And who are the poor and needy, if not helpless, unborn babies, as well as the aged and infirm at the other end of life? Surely the "least of these" embraces not only those at both ends of the continuum of life, but all others in between.

Just how we, as Christ's true followers, respond to his admonition "inasmuch as you did it to the least of these, you did it to me" will determine whether we enjoy eternal bliss in his presence or the bleak and dreadful reality of eternal punishment in hell. Nothing in God's Word could be clearer!

Prayer

Gracious and merciful Father, we gladly embrace your Word that counsels us to care for the least of your children, and we renew our dedication to defending the unborn and all whose right to life is compromised by our godless society's selfish lack of concern. Free us from our own failures and sins so that we will be truly pro-life in every area of our lives. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

Printable devotional

To download today's devotional as a formatted, printable PDF to share with friends:

http://40daysforlife.com/docs/fall2013day05print.pdf


-----------------------------------------------------

Deacon John, have a blessed Sunday!
 
For Life,
 
 Shawn Carney
SHAWN CARNEY
Campaign Director
40 Days for Life
 
PS: What's happening with YOUR 40 Days for Life campaign? Please let me know by leaving a  comment on today's blog posting at:

http://40daysforlife.com/blog/?p=4703